top of page
Past Professional Activities
- Panel organizer, "International Perspectives on the State of Internet Governance," State of the Net Conference, January 20, 2016
- Participant, United Nations Advisory Group on the Use of the Internet for Terrorism
- Member, President's Council for Information Technologies, Office of the President, Sofia, Bulgaria, 2004-2011
- Member, Board of Advisers, Bridge to Asia
- Organizer and chair, "Issues Regarding the Mobile Internet," Internet Governance Forum, Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, December 2009.
- Member, Public Interest Registry Advisory Council, 2008-2009.
- Vice-Chair, Economic Opportunities Commission, World Information Technology Forum (WITFOR) 2009.
- Special Adviser to Nitin Desai, U.N. Seretary-General's Special Adviser for Internet Governance, and Member, Internet Governance Forum Advisory Committee, 2006-2009.
- Member, Panel of Advisers, U.N. Global Alliance for ICT and Development (G@ID), 2006-2009.
- Co-Organizer, W3C Workshop, "Africa Perspective on the Role of Mobile Technologies in Fostering Social and Economic Development," Maputo, Mozambique, April 1-2, 2009.
- Co-Director, NATO Advanced Networking Workshop, The Impact of ICT on Reduction of Disaster Outcomes in Central Asia, with TARENA, 30 April-2 May 2009, Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
- Participant, Internet Governance Forum 2008, Hyderabad. Moderator, "Legal Aspects of Governance of Critical Internet Resource Functions;" Organizer, Plenary Session, "Promoting Cybersecurity and Trust;" Organizer and Moderator, "Evolution of the Root Server System."
- Co-Director, NATO Project, Real-Time Videoconferencing for International Cooperation of EAPC Countries with the National Academiy of Sciences of Belarus and Regional Offices, with the National Academy of Sciences in Minsk
- Adviser to the Chair, Nominating Committee, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), 2008.
- Member, Board of Directors, PEOPLink, 2003-2008.
- Display Forum Organizer, Session Organizer and Panelist, Internet Governance Forum, Athens, Greece, 2006.
- Member, Board of Directors, and Secretary, Digital Policy Institute, 2002-2005.
- Member of the Election Committee of the Internet Society, 2005-2006.
- Chair, Nominating Committee, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), 2005, 2006 and 2007,
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Internet Society, 1996-1999 and 2000-2004. Member, Elections Committee 2001-2003, Audit Committee 2002-2003, Chair, Nominations Committee 1997-1998 and 2003-2004. Chair, Elections Committee, 2004-2005.
- Member, Steering Committee, Markle Foundation and UNDP's Global Digital Opportunity Initiative.
- Member, Strategy Group on Information Technology, Leadership and Excellence for Andhra Pradesh in the 21st Century, Government of Andra Pradesh, India.
- Advisory Board, 12th Annual Conference on Computers, Freedom & Privacy, 2002
- Coordinator, Technical Advisory Panel, infoDev Program, The World Bank, 1999-2002.
- Member, Board of Directors, AppliedTheory Corporation, Inc., 1996-2002.
- Vice President for Education, The Internet Society, 1998-2001.
- Member, Conference Committee, Session Chair, Stories from Developing Countries, and co-organizer, Advanced Technology Workshop, INET 2001, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Member, Advisory Committee to the Markle Foundation on its representation of the U.S. not-for-profit sector to the G-8 and the Dot Force, 2000-2002.
- Member, Board of Directors, NYSERNet, Org. (New York State Education and Research Network, Inc.), 1990-2000.
- Member, University Executive Forum (formerly Apple University Consortium), representing New York University (1997-2000).
- Member, Conference Committee and Program Committee, INET 2000, Yokohama, Japan.
- Seminar co-organizer, with Julia Royall, "The Internet and the Public's Health in the Developing World," sponsored by the Harvard University School of Public Health and the Rockefeller Foundation, Cambridge, Mass., May 31, 2000.
- Mission for USAID to Madagascar to plan how to connect five major universities to the Internet, April 2000.
- Mission for USAID to Bamako, Mali, to plan the campus network and interconnection to the Internet for the University of Mali, September 1999.
- Member, Conference Committee, INET'99, San Jose, California.
- Member, Technical Advisory Panel, infoDevProgram, The World Bank, 1996-1999.
- Vice President for Conferences, The Internet Society, 1995-1998.
- Moderator, "The Big Picture: The Evolving World of Cybercommerce in Europe and in the United States," International Cyberlaw & Commerce Conference: Conceptual Issues Across Borders, New York County Lawyers' Association and Maison Francaise, New York University, New York, N.Y., April 23, 1998.
- Member, Program Committee, 1997 Telecomm Asia, International Telecommunications Union.
- Mission for USAID to the University of Ghana at Legon to assess communications infrastructure and plan for Internet connectivity for the University, May 1996.
- Consultant to Inter-American Development Bank on statistical data collection and dissemination on the Internet.
- Consultant, Telecommunications Program, International Science Foundation.
- Member, Physics Action Council, Working Group on Data Networking, UNESCO.
- Member, Statistics of Income Consultants Panel, Internal Revenue Service, 1992-1995.
- Member, Board of Trustees, CREN (Corporation for Research and Educational Networking -- formerly Bitnet, Inc.), 1992-1995.
- Conference Co-chair, INET'98: The Global Summit, Geneva, Switzerland, July 21-24, 1998.
- Organizer, Internet Society Workshop on Network Technology, INET '96, Montreal.
- Member, Conference Committee and Organizer, Internet Society Network Training Workshop, INET '95, Honolulu.
- Member, Conference Committee and Organizer, Internet Society Network Training Workshop, INET '94, Prague.
- Member, Program Committee and Organizer, Internet Society Developing Countries Workshop, INET '93, Stanford University.
- Member, NYU Edgar Project Advisory Committee.
- Consultant, Cornell-National Institute of Dental Health microanalytic simulation project.
- Consultant to Government of the Bahamas, to United Nations for projects in Cambodia and Myanmar, and to United Nations, UNICEF, and UNDP on attachment to and use of the Internet.
- Conference Co-Chair, NYSERNet '92: Network Access for All: Learn, Teach, Collaborate.
- Proposal reviewer, National Science Foundation.
- ACM '72 session organizer and chair . . Discussant, NCC '73 and NCC '79.
- Member, Steering Committee, National Bureau of Economic Research Workshop Series on the Computer and Applied Econometrics.
- Organizer and initial chairman, SICSOC (Special Interest Committee for Social and Behavioral Science Computing) of the Association for Computing Machinery (now SIGCHI).
- Missions to and work in more than 50 developing countries on behalf of the United Nations, UNDP, UNFPA, USAID, Sida, and other organizations.
bottom of page